The early history of Bagdad

Bagdad in Tasmania is a small country town about 37km north of Hobart on the Midlands Highway. The first Europeans settled Tasmania in the early 1800’s at Risdon Cove near where Hobart is today. The first land grants were issued in Bagdad in 1813.

Previously this land was home to the Aboriginal people who lived here for many thousands of years.

The Bagdad area was originally known as "The Vale of Bagdad" which extended from the foot of Constitution Hill in the north to Brighton in the south. Bagdad was one of the first country areas to be settled and when the road was being put through to what is now Launceston, gangs of convicts and their overseers were housed in and around Bagdad. The first land grants were issued to Thomas Hayes and Augustas Morris in 1813 but they were not registered until 1816. In the early years these were mixed farms with labour supplied by convicts. Later, wheat growing was of great importance to the early settlements both here and on the mainland. Flour mills were built by the Bagdad Rivulet to grind the grain. Early in the 1900’s Apples, Apricots and small fruit took over.