Rosewood

Situated on a private road and surrounded by trees, this property has been in the same family since 1823 when John Swan was granted 2,000 acres, possibly even before he left England. He leased the property to John Hayes (who also built Marlbrook at Mangalore) on the proviso that he build a house on it. With the help of convict labour a stone cottage was built. This has been added to by successive generations of the Swan family. The gentlemen in the photo are father and son, George and Ted Swan on the verandah of Rosewood in 1915.