Marlbrook

Marlbrook was built by John Hayes, (son of Thomas Hayes) in the 1840’s. It was to have been 3 storeys, but it wasn’t finished when the great Vic. gold rush began and his assigned servants and emancipists left for the gold fields. John, aged 67yrs. set about designing the 2nd. storey of the house himself. His taste was of the style of the chinese willow-pattern plate and the upper storey and balcony followed this design. The current owners were mindfull of this when rebuilding the conservatory at the rear of the house. 

The entrance to the garden has it’s “Wedding Trees” an old English custom of planting a tree at each side of the gates, one for bride and one for the groom. A third was added to mark the birth of their first son. Marlbrook was sold to Thomas Bowey in 1879. Captain Eddington bought Marlbrook in 1891 then sold it to Les Eddington in 1904. Mr. Bryant bought Marlbrook in 1920 and the story goes that he kept pigs in the house. In 1925 Bart Cook of Bothwell (Cooks Coaches) bought the property and added the front verandah and sunroom. He also placed iron on the roof over the original wooden shingles which are still underneath. In 1927 Mrs. Childs purchased the home from Mr. Cook. In 1933 the Freemans purchased it for 4,000 pounds and installed a 110 volt electrical system. During these periods Marlbrook consisted of the main home, many convict built outbuildings and a considerable area of land. In 1944 the Roberts bought the home for 5,000 pounds and sold it to the Brodribbs for 8,000 pounds in 1954. On the 4th.of February 1965 Mr. Headlam purchased the home and land for 11,000 pounds. 

 

Wooden entrances to cellars under the house, a stable and a small cottage were burnt in the 1967 fires. Around that time the electrical system was upgraded to 240volts. In 1991 the present owners purchased the property and have completely renovated Marlbrook, restoring the original timbers using traditional methods, and recarpeting and repainting the whole home. The original gardens consisted of a carriage drive and surrounding Ash, Elm and Oak trees. Adding to this, the present owners have created the beautiful gardens we see today. Work continues with plantings in the adjacent paddocks.