Bangalor

Jim and Margaret Colville, with the assistance of friend, Robert Gray spent ten years of intensive work on the cottage, extensions and gardens. Their work has brought back from the brink a fine example of a colonial wooden cottage. Bangalor(e) is thought to have been built in the 1840's, or possibly even earlier, by "Granny" Johnson and her husband William. Later Bangalor, comprising 500 acres was owned by John Hayes, who had earlier been granted Marlbrook at Mangalore. He may have been responsible for the introduction of these names from southern India, or it may relate to Macquarie's 73rd Regiment based in "Hobart Town" in the early 1800's, as they had served in India. The cottage had been admired by many, but most felt it was past saving. When the Colville's purchased Bangalor in 1993 it was close to being lost forever.

Years of unoccupied neglect, left a borer and rat infested shell. When the wind blew an entwined tree made the cottage vibrate. It had a frame of trimmed tree boughs in the natural round, a shingle roof, pit sawn floor boards, split palings, vertical lines of hand-forged nail heads in the front facade under the verandah, brick noggin, and in some areas, dirt floors. A rare colonial Bakehouse has been enclosed, as a preservation measure, within the new extensions which link the rear of the original house, seen from the road, with the original brick and wooden shed at the rear.

 


Years of hard work has established a garden with an amazing walk between hundreds of tree ferns. A beautiful little church was built in the garden in 2000. It is the smallest church in Australia and the smallest "convict brick" church in the world. The windows and doors came from a church in Branxholm pulled down in 1990 and the convict bricks(circa 1824) show many thumb and animal prints. The cottage is listed on the National Estate.